Wednesday, July 13, 2011

It's a Jersey thing.

uly 12, 2011

Start:  1271.2 Penguin camp
End:   1298.9 Rattlesnake spring.

Total:  27.7 miles

I'm surprised to see a hiker a 6:15am.  Then two more while I'm packing.  The AT is getting user as I advance into the herd.  Today is cruising, level terrain.  There are rocky stretches, but I got over them.  There is an on trail town today, Delaware Water Gap.  I'm cutting across a corner of it.  There is no fast food in view, so I continue through.

The highlight is when Guino crosses the Delaware river, and exits Pennsylvania.  Welcome to New Jersey, I think your going to like it.  I get water at the visitor center, and chat with the interpretive staff.  There really nice. 

After climbing a thousand feet from my I-80 crossing, I arrive at the beautiful Sunfish pond.  A sign claims this glacial lake, to be one of New Jersey's seven natural wonders.  The water is warm, so I treat it like the Ganges and swim around and bathe in there.  Great idea, its been hot, and the water was very refreshing.

Between seven and seven thirty, I see three somewhat small bears.  They would still qualify as the largest dog that I have ever seen, but are small for bears.  None are very interested in me, they all give me space when I sing some Grateful Dead to them.  Funny I didn't yell at these guys, but because of there size in each case, I figured mom might be around and didn't want to sound to angry.  Besides everyone likes hearing a little Dead every now and then.

I'm thinking more and more about taking off from the Appalachian trail in New York in 140 miles.  I really need to find a place to live for school this fall and don't want to be rushed into anything.  Though, I still foresee being able to finish the trail and have three days to rush to class.  It would be an insane transition though, from trail directly into school.  I would like to have time to decompress from the Appalachian trail, and get into school mode.  It requires a completely different thought process from that of rouge hiker.  I have been thinking about it for a hundred miles now, and still have one hundred forty more to hike, about a week, before I come across a train station that leads into NYC for a twelve dollar fare.  This is definitely not a decision that I'm rushing into, I'm putting plenty of thought into trying to decide the right thing to do.  If earning another 4.0 this semester is my priority, this would be the best decision.  If getting to Katahdin is the priority, then I should continue on the Appalachian trail.  That would mean a high anxiety rush to class though, and a week or so where I'm only thinking of sleeping and eating, not studying.  Good thing that I work for Starbucks.  I would also be left with a beautifully rugged 740 mile section of trail to hike in the future.  A section every one tells me will be much slower going, and greatly reduce my mileage.  I wish that I had an extra two weeks to complete my hike. 

I really need to take more zero days and just sleep.  Caffeine pills can only help me stay awake for so long.  I really enjoy hiking fast out here though.  I don't think that I would enjoy hiking slow and lazy like everyone else is doing.  The towns that people keep stopping in for several nights and relaxing, are all just kind of a ripoff though.  Unlike the Pacific Crest Trail towns where the locals all seemed like good natured folk who are really into wanting to help hikers get to Canada, out here all the towns people just want to hustle the hikers.  There aren't any real trail angels out here either.  People lie and call themselves that, but then want to charge you.  Hostel employees aren't trail angels, they are in it for the money. 

The PCT is a better trail, but everyone has to do the AT at least once.

My eyes are closing as I write this.  A sleep deprived hiker.

1 comment:

  1. Harsh AT review towards the end of that post. I kind of thought that a lot of the hostel owners and workers really loved hikers and thought they'd help out by putting all their money into a hostel. Before long, they realize hikers are needy as hell [showers, gear, resupply, cheap, dirty] and even though they're helping hikers they're losing money. And they now own a one star hotel in the middle of nowhere. This may affect the ability to sell said hostel. So it causes a bit of strain... I really enjoyed the "unique" experience you'd get at every place. And when it comes down to it, they're still pretty damn cheap places to stay in our modern age...

    Great journal though. Enjoy reading it. You definitely have an amazing stretch ahead of you, but I hear ya on the stress of going back to school. Tough decision. Good luck.

    Deluxe

    ReplyDelete