Friday, July 8, 2011

Pennsylvania flats.

July 8, 2011

Start: 1185.7 Applebee campsite
End:  1216.7 Pulpit Rock Astronomical Park
Total:   31 Miles!

A thunderstorm was over me last night.  Well probably several different ones, it was starting and stopping.  There was no wind in the trees where I was though, and I remained nice and dry.  I figure the German count mentioned last night, who with the Moravian missionaries who were going to Wyoming to meet the Shawnee, being out here wasn't that weird, there is a heavy German influence in the area.  I will even be passing close to Hamburg, Pa. today.  That happens to be the home of the Yuengling brewery, a very popular beer here on the east coast.  It is also the nations oldest brewery.  If I had more time, I would go take a tour.  The Coor's brewery tour was interesting. 

I wonder this morning how I can complete the whole trail, and still make it in time to Flagstaff for school.  I could exit at mile 1440 where a train station is on trail that serves New York City.  I do want to complete the trail though, I am just nervous about time, and finding a place to live in town.  If I did show up early, I would probably be able to get hours at Starbucks, my job.  Though that isn't guarenteed.  Enough of that destructive line of thought.  I start making miles.

Today is mostly flat and I anticipate making a thirty mile day.  Sure enough I do cruise, even with start and stop drizzling rain all day. It's still warm though, and sort of feels like rain in Hawaii, where it isn't a bother because its not cold.

There's a monument I pass around noon, memorializing Fort Dietrich Snyder.  This fort was a post in the French and Indian War.  The trail is flat and I soon pass.  Occasional rocky stretches slow me down though. 

There are not many good water sources today, which also helps me maintain a good speed.  Too many water sources, and I stop more, less and I just keep trucking to the next one, a dozen miles away.

The Appalachian trail goes through another small town today, Port Clinton.  There are no businesses seen from the trail, so I just rush through.  I do stop to pet three dogs for a few minutes who are wondering around.  I also use the time to chat with a local.  The southern accent is truly gone now.

I take a break under a highway bridge, and note how it would be an awesome spot to camp in a storm.  There would be the noise of trucks to get used to, but that beats a wet sleeping bag, and a huge covered area may make for a good trail party spot.

I'm pushing for a thirty miles today, and pass this mark before dark.  There aren't any good places to camp, on the rocky route up to Pulpit rock that I'm heading, but my data book shows an astronomical park with privy at the top of the climb.  It sounds like a place to camp on grass, and sure enough it is.  So now as I lay in my tent, I'm surrounded by large telescopes on a hill top.  Needless to say I do hear thunder now and again.  Weather.com shows this storm to be ending though, and I'm not very worried about a big lightening storm tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment