Friday, June 3, 2011

Damascus, Va.

Since leaving the Greasey Creek Friendly, I have started to run into the tail end of the herd.  The herd is the largest concentration of thru-hikers on the Appalachian Trail.  Most of the herd started around the middle of march.  The back of the pack, the cool kids.  These hikers are fun but will slow you down, that's why they're at the back of the pack, not the front, 400 miles ahead.

There were two large packs of hikers near Watauga Lake two nights ago.  Large social gatherings are a draw for me, but I needed to make miles, it was still light out, so I continued past.  I found a place to roost on top of the Watuanga Dam, 646 feet long and 318 feet high.  My site was perfect, great views of the stars and a constant cool breeze off the lake, that was stronger then the bugs could bear. 

Yesterday I ended up doing 28.9 miles, even though I had several long breaks.  From Kincora hostel in Hampton, Tn. to Damascus, Va. is 56 miles.  People try to do this in a day.  Many people were trying to get from those two hiker groups to Damascus in a 40 mile day.  Many succeeded, though they were the true losers.  Those who chose to do 32 miles, 28.9 for me since I hiked further the night before, were rewarded with a Hiker Trash party at the Abingdon Gap shelter. 

A mile from the shelter was a road crossing were a pickup truck proudly displayed a Hiker Trash sticker.  I knew we were in for a treat.  Upon arrival at the shelter we saw a large bonfire a hundred yards away.  Brent the owner of the truck handed Caver and I both a beer (Caver gave his away.)  They then came to the shelter and invited us all over for a free concert in the woods, courtesy of the three Hiker Trash, Bobby, Seldom Seen, and Brent.  All of us near the shelter obliged and were rewarded with awesome trail magic; hot dogs with buns, potato salad, macaroni salad, whiskey, and great music.  Not a bad free show in the middle of the forest.

Our first trail magic of the day though, was a cooler along the trail in a metal crate that had crosses burned out of it with an acetylene torch.  Courtesy of a baptist church that has an Appalachian Trail ministry.  The cooler had Pepsi and other soda, then there was a tool box of cookies and a bottle of honey that wasn't sticky.  Plus pamplets with butterfly and frog facts.  Butterflys taste with their feet.

The library is closing so got to go.  But want to say I rocked the swimming hole in the Damascus town park today.  No cell service either.  Adios/

No comments:

Post a Comment