Sunday, June 5, 2011

Trying to leave Damascus

I decided to take a zero yesterday.  This small Virginia town is comparable to Etna, Ca. on the Pacific Crest Trail.  This however is the Appalachian Trail.  There is a place here, called The Place, which is owned by a Methodist church, and is a free hostel for AT hikers, and long distance bikers.  They ask for a $5 donation, which probably is often ignored by hikers.  I threw my Lincoln into the box.  The Place is right in town, and is a 6 bedroom house that other then the living room and kitchen, is full of bunkbeds.  I tented out in the yard, not being properly socialized enough to feel comfortable in a warm room with 6 other people.  Truthfully I'm starting to love my tent.

My first week out here I stayed in shelters every night.  Appalachian trail shelters are three sided structures that have a elevated floor for hikers to sleep on.  The sleeping capacity at the shelters I have seen so far range from five people to a twenty person barn, to the twenty four pack "Fontana Hilton."  A six to eight person capacity is the norm though.  That's eight hikers layed out right next to each other.  Tight.

I heard stories last night from the group of hikers that were camped near Wataunga Lake.  They took a zero day at the lake, camping there two nights and swimming around and resupplying in town the middle day.  It sounded really shitty.  First off some went to Hampton, Tn. to look for pot.  I decided to skip this town, even though it has a McDonalds.  They got completely hustled and ripped off by the locals.  Never give someone money and expect them to come back with your merchandise, especially when your just visiting some place that you will leave soon.  Someone did score though, and got a horrible deal on really bad weed.  Everyone in the town was a shithead according to these guys, and it seems like a good place to skip.  Back at the lake, the locals who are apparently a bunch of skinheads were playing on a rope swing all day by the hikers camp.  These losers all had swastika tattoos.  One of the local girls had Aryan Princess tattooed on her.  The hikers said that every last time they swung on the rope swing, they would yell, "White Power!"  Sounds like a horrible day.   Also one of the skinheads had two Rottweilers who attempted to kill another guys dog at the beach.  Horrible day, though they said the lake was nice to swim in.

Last night I saw a band at the local pizza place, then went to a bonfire that some local was having for hikers.  He is going to start letting hikers camp in his yard as a regular thing, I believe.  He had a few camping in his yard already last night.

Well now I'm heading back to the trail, which happens to go right by the door of this coffee shop, that I'm in.  The Appalachian trail goes right through Damascus, Va. the next resupply I have is in Atkins, Va. another walk through town.  I believe there will be many such towns on this trail where the AT goes right down Main St.

No comments:

Post a Comment